Friday, July 09, 2004

Throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

Halloween coming up here in Maui. Funny Lahaina town looking so much like San Francisco on the same day. A good day to be gay since everyone is in the parade to day. Outrageousness is in. Standard form.

I learned this week even being a young sixty one, we still possess the capacity to delude ourselves for years at a time. I used to pride myself on being intelligent with computers. But there I stood in the computer store and dr. klause pointed out the discrepancy in my self promotional scheme. Though I could type in Napili Bay Condos and be number one in Yahoo and Google ... what good was this party trick, if 360,000,000 people typed in their queries this past month and only 33 typed in my phrase. Guess where the 33 came from.

Fortunately my niche in the Maui industry was supported by an affordable and accessible vehicle for sharing information readily.. the press and the WWW. Delivery of four color brochures is instant and paperless. Saves all kinds of printing following the course of the klaus school of positive ROI's created by figuring out the zero sum basis of vertical marketing...millions are to be made in the evolving model of live tv combined with print media acquired through the personalized televideo media of the web. There is an immediacy there not easily tapped before the development of broadband and tools like Quicktime Streaming. For twenty some years my friends heard about a tale soon to arrive just as soon as i finished up the latest business.

Feeling like Wallace Stevens most of my life where he was an insurance salesman, he still wrote his extremely fine poetry. My business experience gives me the excuse i need not to confront the basics of "will success spoil rock hudson." at this age, death looms as scarey as success.